Author Topic: Donations part III (Read 29046 times)

Offline chem.x

• Guilty of enjoying Mecha among other things...
Re: Donations part III
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 12:27:20 am »
Can't you just get a real bank account? And then people can say they want to donate and you pm them a number that they put in as a message when transferring cash from their real bank to yours? Or something like that?

Offline BowlofRice

• Call me Gohan, Shimapan...or BowlofRiceKrispies!
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 01:07:02 am »
Add me to the list of US based users that want to donate but can't because of random errors. D: Wish paypal was an option, but I see why it no longer is. :-\ Is there no other way?

Offline toma

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 02:43:59 am »
If I don't care about being tracked and upload credit, could I pay via paypal? AlertPay is being a pain, I want you to have my money, and I don't need the ratio boost.

Offline asermax

• Better chew than be chewed
    • Tsuiseki
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 02:52:42 am »
If I don't care about being tracked and upload credit, could I pay via paypal? AlertPay is being a pain, I want you to have my money, and I don't need the ratio boost.
The only way to use PayPal right now (for what i've read) is using Flattr (you can find the button in the left column of the front page). You just have to make yourself an account over there and use their service as an intermediary to use PayPal.

Offline newsn

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 07:32:52 am »
The only way to use PayPal right now (for what i've read) is using Flattr (you can find the button in the left column of the front page). You just have to make yourself an account over there and use their service as an intermediary to use PayPal.

Thanks for the heads up :). I just made my donation through Flattr and I am so glad I could help out ;D.

Offline DeamonEyes

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40:41 am »
I had a PayPal account, u guys decided to change to money bookers. I got a money bookers account, u changed to AlertPay. I can unterstand why u changed but I sure do hope u can unterstand my point here too. I'm sorry, but as long as donations can't be made by credit card, I won't/can't donate anything. Makes me a little sad, cauz I would really like to help u out.
fly fishing, fly tying, fly only! Oh, and I forgot anime

Offline lolzernator

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 10:33:08 am »
Would it be possible to open a Paypal account and attempt to get as much donations in a possible before the account is closed? I'm sure you've already e-mailed paypal, but have you tried calling them? You can ask the worker to connect you to a superior so that you can talk with someone who may be responsible for your account being closed, and work something out? I don't really know much about this topic, and I hope I don't sound stupid :p

Offline macros74

• Staff
  • Swear it! No more School Days!
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:30 am »
Everything related to the word "torrent" gets PayPal all jittery.

It just takes one asshat (sorry, extremely conscientious person) to report possible copyright infringement to PayPal and the account gets suspended pending investigation. I should know... :(

Offline mateka

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »
Man these Flattr guys are crooks, I find the transaction fees a bit too high...but nonetheless sent a donation.

Offline ttgg

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 12:42:34 pm »
Considered using Gambit? I see that isoHunt successfully uses it to collect donations daily. I havn´t tried it myself, but just putting it out there.

http://getgambit.com/

Offline schiejeve

• Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »
I added my account and stuff... 8 weeks later and £30 is still sitting in limbo. Not sure it'll ever show up... *sigh*
Intern. transfers should only tale 4 days, unless overload, than it can last up to 15 days. (I work at some kind of bank facillity.
But then again; they had/have some problems with clients selling illigale stuff >:( and therefore some of their accounts were block by others.
So it can easily go both ways. :-\

Offline schiejeve

• Awards Award for multiple donations to Kiva charity. Award for donating to Kiva charity.
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »
I had a PayPal account, u guys decided to change to money bookers. I got a money bookers account, u changed to AlertPay. I can unterstand why u changed but I sure do hope u can unterstand my point here too. I'm sorry, but as long as donations can't be made by credit card, I won't/can't donate anything. Makes me a little sad, cauz I would really like to help u out.
Then you can use Flattr, since you have Paypal; like I do, it'll only take a few min.
Transfer is in the end of the month, that can't be changed, but you can work from your own couche. ;D

Offline panikos

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 04:36:08 pm »
What about looking into ecommerce solutions such as http://sagepay.com.

20GBP a month for account (for upto 1000 transactions then 10p per transaction), no setup fees.

You need a merchant account though.

Offline Jrad

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »
I'd certainly look into some of the other companies that have been mentioned - except Bitcoin.
There's no reason to close off potential revenue sources -- especially something relatively simple to setup such as bitcoins.
You can "mine" them for free on your own computer, the value fluctuates wildly, and they've only really been widely promoted by such organizations as Anonymous.
I fail to see how being able to mine them for 'free' (not really -- the cost of electricity makes mining unprofitable for everyone except enthusiasts or gamers) is a slight against them. The bitcoin infrastructure is decentralized, meaning no organization issues currency or collects fees; the miners are responsible for keeping the security of the network high enough to prevent transaction reversals.
The value does fluctuate wildly, but by the very nature of the system, it will trend upwards over time. A bitcoin donation of 5BTC today might only be worth 25USD. A month from now, it could be worth 30. Bitcoins are volatile, yes, but that's why you cash out frequently. The need to pay for servers sort of means this would happen anyway.
Along with groups like Anonymous, there are quite a few legitimate organizations who support bitcoin. It's not inherently evil or wrong because of a few bad apples.
The system has been hacked to failure at least once.
No. The central bitcoin architecture has never been compromised. It's been open from the start, so you could even say it's impossible for it to be compromised. What has been compromised are bitcoin banking sites such as Mt. Gox -- if you're using bitcoins properly, you wouldn't be keeping your funds stored outside of your own wallet, and hence not susceptible to such hackings.
Also, as it's been noted in conversations about Bitcoins on other sites, technically such an alternative currency is illegal in the United States - there have been cases of tourist towns, trying to use their own cutesy currencies, that have been told ixnay by the Feds. I don't think they'd be so gentle if BitCoin were to start seeing wider use.
This isn't even going to be an issue for years and years and years, and good luck to the Feds trying to shut down bitcoins by then. Bitcoin usage will never become mainstream or widespread, but it will be a viable (and potentially anonymous) alternative currency with its own uses. I doubt I'd ever buy my groceries with BTC, but if I needed to send money to a friend overseas and wanted to bypass banking fees and regulations, I'd use bitcoins. And it only takes 15 minutes!
Lastly, considering the strength of the Euro, and the relative weakness of Bitcoins, I'd want to go with something a bit more stable, i.e. credit card processing. It's even easier for us USD users, as I can watch the exchange rate and make a credit card donation on a day when the exchange rate is a smidgen better.
I'm not suggesting BakaBT switch to using bitcoins exclusively -- that would be ridiculous and unsustainable. However, allowing bitcoins as an alternative would help mitigate the damage issues (such as the current one) cause. There's literally no risk of BTC payments failing to go through, or your funds being frozen.

Offline ludwigrm

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 06:10:12 pm »

that was a good idea. It was quite easy, it only took a couple of minutes to create an account and do the transaction.

Offline shintsu

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 07:15:11 pm »
Hmmm having a direcct bank transfer option is the easiest way to do, maybe have a good step by step manual what you need to do, i think it would not be to difficult. and maybe add options like ideal or other pay systems to it?

Removes the middle man only down site may be that people need to take a little more effort to execute it. Then again less money is lost to the middle man in the process

Offline toma

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 09:07:23 pm »

that was a good idea. It was quite easy, it only took a couple of minutes to create an account and do the transaction.

Agreed. If you don't need the upload credit this is the most painless method.

Offline Ensnry

• WHAAAAT??!!
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 11:22:59 pm »
Seems BAKABT is in need of a few Sovereigns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_(British_coin) =D

From your loving subject,
Ens
"There must be a limit to how ridiculous a suggestion can be, is there?"

-duki3003

Offline mateka

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 12:22:36 am »
Actually if you ask me, people would use Flattr if they would be told that they still pay via Paypal. I know that when Flattr appeared I was sceptical because I thought they would handle my CC info(and maybe some people still don't know what the hell Flattr is), but it's not the case and you can even log in via Facebook.

Offline CHibizoid

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 05:20:41 am »
...I have also received a lot of questions of type: "Why not PayPal?"
...We have indeed used PayPal and MoneyBookers in the past but they have, on multiple occasions, terminated our accounts, with and without reason.

-Duki3003

Yep, PayPal gargles balls. They do indeed just cancel accounts without notice (or real reasons).
I hope you find some way that it is not utilizing them.
:)